Accountants and the CRS

As an accountant you should consider whether you or your clients have obligations under the Common Reporting Standard (CRS).


Application for private ruling

About this Guide Use this form to apply for a private ruling on a proposed, current, or completed arrangement. Private rulings are binding only in respect of the arrangement identified in them. This form can be completed on-screen by typing content directly into the PDF document. Once you have completed the form it is important…


Application for private ruling on transfer pricing arrangement – additional declaration

About this Form The application should be submitted along with a completed Application for Private Ruling – IR713 form and Application for Private Ruling on Transfer Pricing Arrangement – Additional Declaration – IR713A form. When to use this form This declaration is for completion by all taxpayers applying for a ruling on a proposed, current…


Application of FATCA to collective investment vehicles guidance notes

About this Guide Application of Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) to collective investment vehicles guidance notes.


Automatic Exchange of Information

About this Guide Go to our Automatic Exchange of Information – IR1033 factsheet to find out more about your obligations if you hold or control financial accounts.


BEPS disclosure preparation

About this Form To support the new rules, including the expanded information collection powers applying to large multinational groups, we have introduced the Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) disclosure. You should complete this if the hybrid and branch mismatch rules, or interest limitation rules, apply to you in income years beginning on or after…


Common Reporting Standard obligations – For account holders and financial institutions

The Common Reporting Standard (CRS) is an Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) initiative to combat global tax evasion.


Country-by-country report

Country-by-country reporting requirements have been published by the OECD as part of an agreed international tax reform package addressing base erosion and profit shifting. 


CRS: Due Diligence & Reporting Obligations

This form is intended to provide operational advice in the New Zealand context, for financial institutions that are implementing the CRS, and others who may have CRS (and FATCA) obligations.


DIMS providers, Custodians and the CRS

As a Discretionary Investment Management Services (DIMS) provider, Custodian used by a DIMS provider, or Customer of a DIMS provider, you should consider whether you have obligations under the Common Reporting Standard (CRS).


Family Trust obligations under the CRS

This guide helps you with the Common Reporting Standard as a reporting NZ financial institution family trust and/or an account holder.


FATCA recalcitrant account holder guidance

This guidance is for Reporting New Zealand Financial Institutions (Reporting NZFIs) carrying out Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) due diligence and reporting under New Zealand’s FATCA Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) with the United States.


FATCA registration guidance notes

These notes help you register for the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) with IRD.


FATCA status of NZ trusts that are not U.S. persons

This guide explains the FATCA status of NZ trusts that are not U.S. persons.


FATCA U.S. reportable accounts guidance notes

Use these notes to find out FATCA status if you’re U.S. reportable accounts.


Foreign trust annual return

To remain eligible for the tax exemption, the contact trustee of the New Zealand Foreign Trust must submit an Foreign trust annual return – IR900 for each return year after registration.


Foreign trust connected persons schedule

This schedule must be completed by the contact trustee of a foreign trust with one or more New Zealand resident trustees.


Foreign Trust Registration Form

Use this disclosure form if you administer a foreign trust.


Foreign trust settlements and distributions schedule

This schedule must be completed by the contact trustee of a foreign trust with one or more New Zealand resident trustees.


Guidance on the Common Reporting Standard for Automatic Exchange of Information

The CRS is a global framework for the collection, reporting, and exchange of financial account information about people and entities investing outside of their tax residence jurisdiction.


Guide to foreign investment funds and the fair dividend rate

This guide explains the tax rules relating to FIFs. Investors who have certain types of offshore investments may have FIF income.


Is the entity a Reporting NZ Financial Institution?

The CRS is a global framework for the collection, reporting and exchange of financial account information about people and entities investing outside of their tax residence jurisdiction.


Is the Trust a Reporting NZ Financial Institution?

If a financial institution is a Reporting NZFI, it must identify accounts held by account holders who are foreign tax residents and, in certain circumstances, entities that are controlled by foreign tax residents.


New Zealand tax residence

This guide explains who is a New Zealand resident for tax purposes. The tax residence rules are different from the normal New Zealand immigration residency rules.


New Zealand tax residence questionnaire

Form to use to let us know you are leaving or have left New Zealand so that we can advise you of your tax residence status and if you have any further New Zealand tax obligations.


Non-resident income tax return guide

You must complete and send in an IR3NR if you were a non-resident for the full year but received income from New Zealand.


Non-resident income tax return notes

These notes help you fill in your Non-Resident Individual Tax Return (IR3NR). You need to file your IR3NR by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time.


Non-resident individual tax return

You would use this return if you have not been personally present in New Zealand and have earned income from New Zealand sources.


Non-residents claiming GST in New Zealand

This factsheet explains the change that allows non-resident businesses to register for GST and claim GST paid on New Zealand business expenses.


Overseas donee status request form

If you are a New Zealand charity whose purposes are mainly overseas, you can apply for overseas donee status.


Overseas income questionnaire

Use this questionnaire to find out what types of overseas income your client has so you can advise them correctly about their tax obligations and responsibilities in New Zealand.


Overseas pensions and annuity schemes

This guide contains information on the taxation of foreign superannuation lump sums and overseas pensions. 


Portfolio Investment Entity Guide

If you’re an overseas investor, you can be a non-resident investor or a notified foreign investor (NFI). Portfolio investment entity (PIE) income is taxed differently depending on your situation.


Provision of US TINs

This guide tells your obligations if you hold or control New Zealand financial accounts.


Schedule of beneficiary’s estate or trust income

Any beneficiary who receives income or certain distributions from either a foreign trust or a non-qualifying trust must fill in this form. It helps IRD make sure that these distributions are taxed correctly in the hands of beneficiaries.


Settlors of trusts disclosure

Use this form to disclose a settlement of a trust.


Statement of assets and liabilities

You must show all the assets and liabilities of both you and any dependent children. This includes overseas assets and liabilities.


Tax agents’ guide for migrants and returning New Zealanders

This guide helps tax agents advise clients about the New Zealand tax system and tax on international income.


Tax sparing disclosure return Income

About This Form This return is for the disclosure of tax sparing credits claimed under double tax agreements. The period for which disclosure is required is the accounting period corresponding with any income year ending on 31 March. When to Use This Form Any company or other person who has claimed a foreign tax credit…


Taxes and duties

About This Guide This guide gives you an introduction to the different kinds of taxes Inland Revenue collects in New Zealand. We’ve written it mainly for new residents and potential immigrants to New Zealand. We also explain the following social assistance programmes that we administer: • Child support – money paid by a parent not…


Trusts guidance notes

About This Guide 1. The HIRE Act 2010 introduced legislation requiring financial institutions outside of the United States (“U.S.”) to provide details relating to U.S. citizens’ financial accounts to the U.S.’s Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”). 2. The Intergovernmental Agreement (“IGA”) between the U.S. and New Zealand to improve international tax compliance and to implement FATCA…

Need help with accounting needs?

We are happy to help

Contact Us